Sunday, October 10, 2010

Gimme 2 weeks and I'll own this town


It's 7:21 am, just got back from my first "night out" in Berlin. Went to TRESOR to see/hear Gus Gus. Got there at 1 am, figuring that was late enough. Not quite. Their set didn't start 'til 4:30 am. Next time, 3 am seems like an appropriate hour.

TRESOR is in an old Power Station, with several levels, with a proper bar on the 1st floor, and something that looks more like a dungeon in the basement. Obviously, the best music was in the basement. I'll be picking out shards of glass from the soles of my shoes for days to come.

Funnily enough, at the start, I was amazed at how bad German boys dance. And my second thought was "they can't all be straight!!". In any case, didn't want to do anything to piss anyone off, so stuck to my own (I'm just dancing on my own ...). The music got progressively better and so did their dancing.

Gus Gus fucking slayed. As opposed to the resident DJs, who stuck to typical minimal Berlin techno, Gus Gus infused a bit of funk and deep house into their set, which was amazing. They only played one track of theirs, albeit heavily remixed (Hateful).

Lowlight of the evening: the doormen didn't even want to look at my ID, they just hushered me in :-(
Highlight of the evening: the big bruiser that was checking me out, despite the chicks dancing with him. He unfortunately took off like a bat out of hell once he realized what he was doing. Too bad, his loss.

Walking home at dawn is always an interesting thing. I saw a cute little bunny who was trying to hide from me in the weeds on the side of the road. Poor thing, stuck in this concrete city. Other creatures of the night I could've done without: the gigantic cockroaches on the sidewalk, near a squat, and the rats chasing each other at the U-Bahn station. Berlin is anything but clean.

Now that I've done the baptism by fire thing, I'm ready to tackle the Mecca of nightclubs: Friedrichshain's notorious Berghain, which apparently has the toughest door policy in the world. We'll see. Gimme 2 weeks and I'll fucking own this city.

5 comments:

  1. finally. I figured GusGus would kick it in the Gus for ya. Live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment.

    Who are you again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4:30 am??? Gimme 2 weeks and I'd be dead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some mornings it feels like that ... But it's still kinda pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete